PIZZA PIE: 16 QUESTIONS WITH CARLITO FLORES
We caught up with Gusto 101 pizzaiolo, Carlito Flores, and asked him about weirdest pizza order he has received, personal pizza preferences, tricks of the trade, and everything in between, orders up!
1) DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN 3 WORDS.
Fun, energetic, life of the party, whoops I think that’s more than three.
2) FAVORITE PIZZA TO MAKE?
3) ONE FOOD TREND YOU HATE?
Gluten free everything.
4) MARGHERITA, DIAVOLA OR SPINACI?
5) BIGGEST MENTOR?
Chef Dan and Chef Thaya.
6) PIZZA OR PASTA? WHY?
Pasta, because I don’t have to make it often.
7) ONE FOOD WE COULDN’T PAY YOU TO EAT?
8) WEIRDEST PIZZA YOU’VE EVER HAD ANYONE ORDER?
Hawaiian with anchovies.
9) IF YOU COULD MAKE ANY PIZZA FOR ANYONE IN THE WORLD – DEAD OR ALIVE – WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
Bob Marley (since my pizza is the best).
10) ONE PIECE OF ADVICE YOU COULD GIVE AN ASPIRING PIZZAIOLO?
Practice makes perfect.
11) MOST UNDERRATED CUISINE?
12) STRANGEST THING YOU’VE EVER CONSUMED?
13) ONE DISH YOU ATE GROWING UP THAT YOU STILL LOVE (OR HATE)?
I grew up eating spaghetti and meatballs and still love it.
14) WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITY FOR ANY SUCCESSFUL PIZZAIOLO TO POSSESS?
Time management and willingness to learn.
15) IF YOU WEREN’T A PIZZAIOLO WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING RIGHT NOW?
Chilling on a beach.
16) “LIFE WOULD LOSE ALL MEANING IF I COULDN’T EAT _________.”
Burger and fries.