The Essential Holiday Hors D’oeuvre
The “holidays” and “hangry-ness” are two things that should never go hand in hand, but if you’re like us and the holiday party madness has got you tight for time, you’ll need a few tricks up your sleeve to throw together some tasty, super speedy snacks for your guests. “But they’ll be able to tell that I threw this together in 5 minutes,” you say? Trust us, these crostini taste and look as gourmet as it gets. Easy to assemble and crazy yummy, these little bites are the perfect thing to get you through the hectic holiday season.
Trio of Crostini:
Fig & Stilton
Mushroom & Pecorino
Sundried Tomato & Goat Cheese
- Start by buying a fresh French-style or sourdough baguette. Thinly slice the baguette into small rounds.
- Lightly brush each round with olive oil and bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 9 minutes (or until lightly golden brown and crisp).
- Divide your baguettes into three and set aside for assembly
Fig & Stilton: Thinly slice or chop some fresh fig and layer on top of the baguette. Crumble some stilton or blue cheese on top and finish with a light honey drizzle.
Mushroom & Pecorino: Choose your favourite medley of mushrooms (we recommend crimini, oyster and honey mushrooms) and lightly sautée with olive oil, salt and garlic. Place warm mushrooms on top of baguette and finish with some fresh pecorino and/or parmigiano.
Sundried Tomato and Goat Cheese: Dice and slice some fresh marinated sundried tomatoes and spread over the baguette. Finish with some creamy and delicious goat cheese and a touch of fresh basil.
4. Once all of your crostini have been assembled, platter them on your favourite wood board, ceramic or marble slate. Be as creative and festive as you like with your final touches. Fresh cut flowers make a simple finish to your masterpiece.
5. Pass around to your guests and let the mouth-watering begin!